Friday, November 20, 2009

I don't have a picture of this, but feel it needs to be documented for posterity's sake! Some of you have already heard this story, so, bear with me. Isaac has a spelling packet that he brings home every week. In this packet, there are 10 new words that he learns and practices spelling every day. After he is done writing each word out 3 times, there is usually some sort of additional activity such as coming up with synonyms for words, etc.
A few weeks ago we were sitting at the kitchen table finishing up with the kids' homework. Isaac had just completed his spelling list for the day. All he had left to do was the additional activity which happened to be writing sentences using two of his spelling words. There was some sort of commotion upstairs so I left Isaac to just finish up his sentences and put his homework in his backpack. A few minutes later he came upstairs and we started getting ready for bed. I had forgotten all about checking it until the next day when he came home from school. He started laughing to himself and I asked him what was so funny. In reply, he pulled out his homework folder and handed me his spelling packet. "Look at my sentences Mom", he said. I opened it up and laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes. The word he chose to use was "Father", and his sentence was, "My Father spends A LOT (in caps) of time on the can." When Chris got home, I told him that he was famous and showed him the sentence. He promptly informed me that this officially excused him from ever going to a parent teacher conference. Ever.
I wonder if he was the talk of the teacher's lounge that day?

3 comments:

C Dawn's bucket said...

Oh My! How funny! Does it bring you any comfort to know that they don't actually correct the spelling packets? They just look through to make sure they are done? Chris can go to PT Conferences without worry...but I'm going to be laughing for awhile....

Belnap Family said...

To be fair, it's kinda true! :)

Beth said...

HAHA That's awesome! I like Kim's insight too...