Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bribery is the Best Medicine!

This is our latest attempt at "creative, positive, disciplining".
Since being pregnant and since Lucas was born, I have been so lazy and have let a lot of things slide that I wouldn't have before, such as: my eating habits (popcorn and root beer floats at 11:00 at night anyone? Spencer?), my patience, and my disciplining methods (among other things). In an attempt to at least work on the last one (I'm not ready to give up the snacking just yet) and regain some control over my household, I came up with the following idea.
I found these at Walmart for .98 cents a piece. I was looking for some type of advent calendar for the whole month, but decided these would work just fine. If I was crafty like my sister, I would have made my own and then decorated them all cute and scrapbooky like. Maybe that's why I don't have any girls...
Anyway, I filled each slot up with something different- a sticky eyeball leftover from Halloween, a quarter or dime, a little rubber lizard, a piece of candy, stickers, etc. Every week I also put in a paper that says either, "pick a prize", "ice cream with Dad", or "date with Mom" etc.
I then went to the dollar store and bought some fun prizes with the boys like silly putty, play dough, punching balls, etc and put them in a gift bag. This was so exciting for the kids, because the only time they get toys are on Christmas and Birthdays!

We sat down with the boys and identified something that each of them wanted to work on. For example, Jason is working on staying in bed and not talking and playing during nap time. At the end of each day, they all gather in my room and we talk about how they did that day. If they felt like they did a good job, then they get to open up the container pertaining to that day and keep the prize. If they did not make good choices, they have to open it up, take out the prize, and give it to me. We have been doing this for a week now, and it has worked wonders! In about a month, we will sit down with the kids and come up with new goals or behaviors to work on for the following month.

8 comments:

Laura said...

I am headed to Wal-mart first thing!

You are a GREAT mom!!!

Esther J. Clarke said...

that's a great idea :D

Anonymous said...

hey love! cute idea. after I read this I sawa friend who has made advent calenders out of the mini muffin pans. she made cardboard squares and decorated the front. magnents on the back to cover the openings. then stick whatever inside.. made me think of your cute idea. in case you wanted bigger ones
love michelle!

Cassie Jeter said...

I love your Idea Monica:-) I'll have to keep this in mind as Sophie gets older and as we add to our family!! COOL! Thanks!

McKayTroop said...

When I was little, during the Christmas season, there was an "elf" who would visit my house every night and if the house (especially my room) was clean then it would leave me something. Now as an adult- I love your idea- it could go year round rather than just at Christmas!

mds said...

love your idea! in a few years, if i ever decide to have kids, will you be my mentor!!! glad your kids are learning and setting goals, some kids scare me with all their screaming and demading toys from their parents at the stores! and i am defenetly adapting the idea they only toys on chritmas and on their birthdays!

Beth said...

GREAT idea - you're a genius!

Kallee said...

You are my inspiration. I'll be trying this in the next week. Thanks for the idea!!

You're family is beautiful and I really miss seeing and talking to you now and then. love ya!