Saturday, June 21, 2008

Señor Crispin- is that how you spell it?

If you are going out of town and are thumbing through your address book looking for someone to take care of your pet for a couple of weeks, my advice to you would be simple: just skip over my name. If you love your pet and want it to be alive when you get back, call someone else. Don't take this the wrong way, I am always willing to help out a friend, but everyone has limitations, right? There are some things that are beyond my abilities, such as keeping a fish alive while pet sitting.
So, here's the story...
My friend Chantel and her husband Cristian were in Argentina for a couple of weeks visiting Crisitan's family. I agreed to watch their fish, check their mail, water their plants, and steal all of the perishable food from out of their refrigerator and eat it while they were gone. All was going well until 2 days before they were supposed to come home. I thought that I would do something nice and clean out Señor Crispin's fish bowl for them. I was holding a plastic cup in front of the bowl (you know, to catch the fish of course) while dumping out the dirty water into my sink. I thought this was a great plan. Well, the fish came out of his bowl, shot right over the top of my cup and slipped directly down the drain. Being the hero that I am, I flung open the cupboard and unscrewed all of the pipes under the sink in search of the fish. I had just about given up and was ready to reassemble our plumbing when the dishwasher started to drain. In all of the excitement, I had forgotten that it was turned on, and had also forgotten what happened to the water in the dishwasher when it drains. For those of you who don't already see where this is going, the water drains into the sink... So, there I was, my head under the sink, frantically trying to screw the pipes back together when all of the sudden, dirty dishwasher water started shooting out EVERYWHERE (but mostly in my face). I futilely grabbed some bowls that I had lying around but they filled up in a matter of seconds, and of course, I had no where to empty them. I unlocked the dishwasher to stop the water flow, and just sat there on my kitchen floor in an enormous puddle of water waiting for Chris or someone else to walk in at that very moment and burst out laughing. Unfortunately for Chris, I was able to clean everything up before he got home.
We bought Chantel and Cristian a new fish the next day. Señor Crispin the Second.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

tfthornock said...

How funny! The sad part about it is that I can totally relate, but that's a whole other story! Speaking about flooding, I was just thinking about the Julia-toilet-flooding-apartment incident the other day. It still provides a good laugh! I just must live a boring life or something!

Leavitt's said...

That is a funny story!! Wish I could have been the one to walk in and find you there!!! You do deserve credit for trying to clean out the bowl. must be a good friend

Beth said...

I thought this stuff only happened on TV?!? That's so funny... now anyway I am sure at the time it wasn't so much... :)

kris streeter said...

Oh, Monica that is soo funny. Where were the kids? They would have loved being involved with the action. But then they would have cried for the fish. Another event in the life of a mother.

LoGunns said...

Abe is asking me why I'm laughing:) A+ for effort.

Laura said...

LOL! Too funny and just a wee bit sad. that put a big smile on my face... thanks! :)

Dimitricoff Family said...

I seem to laugh harder each time I hear this story!! It's just so HILARIOUS!! Even I wouldn't have taken the sink apart and it was my fish! ha ha!! We still love you! Thanks so much for taking care of (well kind of) our stuff while we were gone! You are the bestest! love ya!

Alisha Jeremy George said...

This is the funniest thing ever! I love that you flushed that poor fish down the drain! I feel like I have NOT seen you in forever! Can we have an Alisha and Monica date soon!!!!

Belnap Family said...

GREAT STORY DUDE!!!! I had no idea you killed someone else's fish or I would have checked your blog sooner!