Sunday, May 4, 2008

Soccer!

Isaac and Adam have been playing indoor soccer for a few weeks now. How is it going? Lets see... They look happy here. That is because their games are finally over and Adam has about 10 Teddy Grahams in his mouth (notice the left cheek).


Here is Adam's team getting ready to line up, and here is Adam running right before he got knocked over and trampled 2 minutes into the game. He sat out for the rest of the time.


This is Isaac's favorite position: goalie, because he doesn't have to run or play. He can just hang out and wink at the camera.


I am a believer in exposing kids to all kinds of sports and activities and then letting them choose which ones they want to continue in and which they would prefer not to do anymore. I'm going to go ahead and make a wild guess here; soccer will last maybe one or two more years at the most before Isaac is done!

I would love it if he enjoyed playing soccer, but right now, it doesn't look so good! First of all, he has to run, which is not fun at all. Second of all, he has to actually pay attention to the ball when there are a ton of kids he would rather be playing with instead. Third, if he plays around with the other kids on his team instead of actually playing soccer, he gets in trouble. Life is so hard when you are a 6 year old! I realize that this is partially my fault because I have not raised very competitive children thus far, and I also do not like to run!

Adam was so excited to start playing because he watched Isaac all last year. Unfortunately, after the first 5 minutes of his first game, he was done! He came and sat next to me and said, "Mom, those kids aren't taking turns! I want to go to a different team." Poor little guy! But seriously, I have spent the last few years attempting (not always successfully, mind you) to teach my children to be thoughtful and sensitive, to share, take turns, be nice, etc. Then one day, I put them on a soccer field and say, go crazy! Steal the ball from the other kids, don't take turns, be aggressive! Aggressive? My sweet little six year old gave a valentine card to the little boy at school that bullies him because he thought it would be a nice thing to do.

I have to say though, I am really proud of them! It is so fun to watch these boys as they grow up and develop their own likes, dislikes, personalities, and abilities. They are kind, sweet, thoughtful, great kids and I love them! And, to look on the bright side, Isaac has actually stayed on his feet all season, which is an improvement to last years sliding across the floor (because it's slippery and you can do cool tricks, mom) and sitting down in the middle of the court for no apparent reason!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

They are such sweet boys. Too bad they are going to get beat up when they are older for crying when their little brother gives a talk in church. Sad sad day for you. hahaha just kidding, I love that they are sweet. I am sure that they will find something that they like. Quilting maybe...

Monica said...

OK, so Isaac is senstive and he cried because he was so proud of Adam when he gave his first talk in primary. At least he doesn't wear women's clothing like Benjamin.

Anonymous said...

wow so much to say. First Steph, Girls Cloths???? Second, Monica I love that your kid winks in EVERY picture, so funny. Maybe they will like Quilting, or Barbies, or those thousands of Barbie movies they keep making, or high heels, or lace, silk, or Oxygen and lifetime tv expecially those lifetime original movies that show how men always pick on women, or maybe they will be into womens right, or baking, ballet, or I dont know maybe you should try womens cloths. ok maybe I got carried away. I am sure they will end up finding a sport they like and are good at. Chis is going to have to just step it up a bit. and I love your kids so much and miss them

Leavitt's said...

I put my 5 year old in soccer this year and he prefers to run around pretending he is flying instead of chasing the ball, but I guess he will decide later if he wants to keep playing or not. He is hoping to get a trophy when the season is over. Your kids are way cute

kris streeter said...

Your boys are so sweet. Being tough really isn't all it is cracked up to be. I don't see them as being wimpy boys at all. They will be tough when they need to be if they have strong self confidence.