WARNING: There are several new posts below this one, and there are about a million baby pictures. Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!
My Doctor set it up so that we could be induced on Friday morning the 31st. I was supposed to call the hospital at 6:00 am to see if I could go in. When I called, they told me to call back at 9. When I called back at 9 they told me to call back again around 9:45. It seemed like a long morning, but when we called back again, they told us to come on in. We said goodbye to the boys and Stephanie (who was nice enough to come and stay with them), and headed to the hospital!
On our way to the hospital, I somehow managed to convince my Mom to drive up so she could be here for the delivery. She got up here before they even had a chance to hook me up and get things going! It was so nice to have her here, even if things didn't go exactly the way we had planned!
They finally got me all hooked up around 12:00. The Doctor came in and broke my water around 4:00. I tried to hold off for as long as I could, but broke down and got my epidural a little after 4:45. The nurse was concerned about the baby's heart rate because it kept going down during every contraction. The anesthesiologist came back in and gave me a shot that helped bring the baby's heart rate back up but after a short time, it started dipping again, this time even lower. I was about ready to start pushing when the nurse decided to check me one more time. When she did, she realized that I had a prolapsed cord. She called the Doctor and he got there right away. He was hoping that he would be able to move the cord and release some of the pressure, but soon realized that it wasn't going to work and started prepping me for an emergency c-section. I have to say, although it was a little nerve wracking, I was very impressed with how quickly and efficiently the Doctors and nurses worked from that point on. They threw some scrubs at Chris, and we were out the door in a matter of minutes. When we got to the other room, there were a million people in there running around. They got the curtain up and started working on me right away. Chris came and sat by me and I think we were both more than a little nervous. I was always really excited when the other boys were born, but I didn't get very emotional. Because of the circumstances surrounding this birth, the second I heard the baby's cry, it was all I could do to hold back my own tears! It was such a relief to know that everythig was all right. He was born at 5:41 pm. It seemed like forever before I could finally hold him. When they got me into the recovery room, I didn't want to let him go but could barely keep my eyes opened! Thank goodness for my Mom and Chris! I am so grateful though for the nurses and doctors that helped us. They were so great, and although things didn't go exactly the way we had planned (sorry Mom), I am glad that the baby is here, safe and sound! 
They gave the baby his first bath in our room so that I could watch it. Usually the dad goes with them into the nursery to do it, so it was fun to have them do it in front of me too!
9 comments:
The pictures are so cute. I can't wait to hold baby Lucas. I'm sorry I missed the actual birth too, but that is ok, I was there shortly after the birth. Maybe next time :)
Chris looks like a doctor and you look beautiful! Congrats on the new baby. He is so handsome!!! You guys have great looking kids! Hope all is well. Can't wait to meet him.
Love you guys!
The Arnells
PS What is his name going to be?
What a crazy delivery and what a WONDERFUL baby! He is SOOOO stinkin' cute. I can't believe all that hair. I am glad you are all healthy and happy at home now :)
(loved all the updates below :))
Your new little addition fits right in. He is adorable!
Oh my heck! My stomach sank to the bottom of my feet reading this post. Prolapses are extremely scary! I've seen some bad outcomes in your same situation, but I am so glad that everyone is okay and all is well now. I noticed in an earlier post that Chris had scrubs on in a picture. I was hoping and praying that he had just gotten his clothes dirty cutting the cord or something! ;) You look awesome and little Lucas is absolutely precious! He fits perfectly with all those other cute boys you've got! Congrats!
congrats monica! he is sooooo cute! the adventure will continue with this one! cheers!!!
Monica, he is absolutely beautiful! Of course he looks just like the rest of your boys, so darn cute. Congratulations! I look up to you in every way.
I'm so glad he made it here safely and that everything worked out in the c-section. I hope your recovery was smooth. Considering you went home all decked out in your pre-pregnancy shorts in all, it must have been an okay recovery? You looke awesome! Love ya tons and wish I were there to hold your sweet baby. Can't wait until I get mine:).
In your first family photo you look so pretty! I wish I looked that good after having Kevin and Claire.
WOW, Monica I glad to hear your okay, and especially that your little baby boy is doing well. He is soooo cute!!!! How fun, congrats!
Post a Comment