This title could actually be a good one for my yard post (coming up), but, it is actually dedicated to Isaac, my 7 year old son. I pulled out all of his summer clothes the other day and tried them on him, and they are all too small. I'm not surprised, by the end of the year last summer they were starting to get a little too short and tight, and the kid just keeps on growing! I decided to take him to Old Navy so that we could pick out some shorts a couple of new shirts. We made a deal before we left- we both had veto power. If I liked something and he didn't, he could say no and if he liked something that I didn't like, I could do the same. We would only buy things that we both agreed on! Sounds easy, right?
Well, taking Isaac to Old Navy was comparable to going shopping with a 13 year old girl! We walked into the store and went straight back into his section. The first thing he saw was a wall full of Transformers shirts. First of all, I am not a big fan of the movie, nor do I think that it is an appropriate movie for little kids to be watching, although just about every little boy that I have talked to has seen it at least 10 times. Secondly, I don't like character shirts at all. And so our adventure began.
Because I made him walk past the Transformers shirts, he refused to even look at anything else that I held up to show him. I finally told him that if he wouldn't look at anything that I wanted to show him, maybe he should go and look around by himself and let me know if he saw something that he liked. Bad idea. Two minutes later he came running up to me, all excited about a black and grey, full on, camo shirt. Veto. It was then and there that I became the world's meanest mom because I don't like camo and I don't know what is cool (this, coming from the kid who slicks his hair down as much as he can the second he gets out of the shower because it looks "awesome" like that).
I told him that it wasn't just the camo (oh, but it was), it was also the fact that it was all black. I tried to explain to him how hot black shirts would be in the summer time, and told him to look around some more. The next 4 shirts that he brought to me were all, you guessed it, BLACK.
It was right around this time that my phone started ringing and Jason informed me that he really needed to go poo. So, off to the bathrooms we went. A half an hour later Jason felt better, we all had empty bladders, and we were back out onto the sales floor. Isaac and I had a little talk about compromise, and I reminded him of the deal that we had made earlier. We settled on a pair of shorts and then started looking at shirts again. He laid out 4, I laid out 3, and after some more negotiating, some more pouting, a whole lot of whining from the younger brothers, and yet another 20 minutes of discussion, we ended up with two that both of us liked! Phew!
By this time Jason and Adam were bored to death, and when they get bored, they start teasing each other. I wanted to get him one more shirt, but didn't have another half hour to spare so we just left.
The moral of this story? If your son acts like a teenage girl, go shopping WITHOUT him! He will most likely need more than 2 new shirts to last the rest of the summer, but, I will be picking them out by myself. Sorry Isaac, you might have to wait until next year to be cool!
8 years ago
3 comments:
Oh man, that sounds fun! I'm laughing because we went to O.N. a couple days ago for Ethan too. He's not as picky, but the HUSBAND is!! He veto-ed like 4 shirts I held up!
PS. I saw the Transformers ones and the camo one you are talking about!!!! I hope we didn't end up with the same shirts, although I wouldn't be surprised one bit!!!!
Sam's current idea of "style" is to have his pants tucked into his socks and the socks pulled up his legs as far as they will go. Then he needs to wear a button up shirt, buttoned to the top and tucked into his pants. (Oh no I seemed to have given birth to Erkyl..the only thing missing is the pocket protector full of pens)
I took some pictures the other day, I'll have to post them.
I could have told you that Isaac is a 13 year old girl. I love that. I agree that you are just going to have to go without him. I am so glad that Benjamin has no say in what he wears, yet.
Post a Comment