The other night I got a call from Chris saying that he had hit a deer and needed me to go and pick him up. Fortunately, Kimberly and Alisha were at my house and able to stay home with the kids. Chris had been driving back home from his second job out in Clifton. The deer jumped right out in front of his car just before Smithfield and he had no choice but to just plow right into it. The drive from our house to Smithfield to pick him up seemed to take forever!! I hit every light red and got stuck behind every slow car on the road! Luckily Chris was not hurt at all, but, I was still anxious to get out there as quickly as possible. I wish I would have thought to have taken my camera out there with me. There was debris (from both the car and the deer) all over the road, and you could see the trail where the impact occurred all the way to where the deer and car finally stopped. Chris couldn't move the steering wheel, open the passenger door, or turn on his blinkers or emergency lights. He called the police and then a nice guy in a truck pulled over and helped him move the deer off the road. The guy's passenger got out of the truck and it turned out to be our friend, Janea! What a crazy coincidence. Anyway, I finally got out there, and we emptied Chris's car and just waited with the policeman until the tow truck got there. The next day, we took the boys to the repair shop and let them look at their daddy's car through the fence. Chris and I were just talking when I heard some sniffling. I turned around and both Adam and Isaac had tears streaming down their faces. I asked them what was wrong and they said that they were going to miss daddy's car. Then Isaac (ever sensible) told us that he knew it was more important for Dad to be safe than it was for his car to be safe, but that he was still sad. Then we drove them out to the scene of the accident because they wanted to see the deer and get a piece of Chris's car to keep (as a souvenir?). Anyway, here are some of the pictures we took for the kids:
The dark part of the pavement is deer blood. I know, gross huh. This is just one of the little piles of pieces from the car. They were everywhere!
We will find out tomorrow whether or not they are going to just total out our car. I am kind of nervous about the whole thing, and just hope that we can get enough to pay off our loan. Mostly I am just grateful that Chris is OK. I think about all of the million other things that could have gone wrong, and am so glad that it wasn't that bad. With all of the commuting that Chris does and has done in the past, we are lucky that this is the first accident that we have been in!
7 comments:
Wow that is so bad. I wish I could help you out in some way. I laughed that the boys were crying because they would miss daddys car. That is adorable.
WOW! Crazy! I am glad that Chris is ok. That is so scary. Poor kids crying, so cute though. I hope the car insurance deal get resolved quickly.
No close up of the mama deer's hoof?
Yikes! I'm glad he's safe. Cute that your boys will miss the car:)
k this is a little random, but I have been thinking about you lately and wondering if you have had your baby. Aren't you due this month? I thought maybe with all the thunderstorms it might have put you into labor. Just wishing the pregnancy thing was over for me and thought about you. That sucks about the deer accident though, glad your husband is ok. Matt will be glad he's ok too, he is one of his favorite people!
I love that you had to explain that the dark part of the pavement was deer blood! haha.....
...Anyway, I'm glad Chris is ok. Geez what a crazy adventure!
How come this is the first I am hearing about this? Why didn't you tell me? You punk!!!!
I'm glad Chris is ok!!!
Post a Comment