Friday, April 20, 2012

Baby Girl

The last couple months of this pregnancy have been a little crazy.  For a while there, my Doctor was telling me to slow down because he was worried that the baby was going to come too early.  I slowed down a lot, and then he was worried that nothing was happening.  I was scheduled for a C-Section on the 9th of April, but, the week before our spring break at my appointment, my Doctor told us that he was on call that weekend and if we wanted to go in that Saturday, he would do it then.  Logistically, it would be much more convenient to do it that weekend than the day we were scheduled, but, I stressed about having the baby too early, or, going to the hospital and getting sent home after making all of the arrangements for the kids, etc.  I talked to my Mom and sisters, and a couple of good friends, but was still a little undecided.  My friend came over and helped me finish cleaning the house, I packed a bag just in case, another friend came over and gave me a pedicure (I have amazing friends), and, Kimberly and Greg came on their way home from their spring break trip and stayed the night.  I didn't sleep at all, and actually had a few contractions off and on throughout the night.  At 6:00, I got up and decided to start getting ready.  I had a few more contractions and told Chris that we should just go in.
 We got there and checked in, and they hooked me up to observe me for a while.  By then my contractions were coming every 6 minutes.  I don't know if I just got lucky, or, if I stressed myself into labor!  When they saw that the contractions were regular, they decided to just keep us there.  Even then it took me a while to believe that it was really happening, but, we finally called and let everyone know that we were having a baby.  The kids were so excited, because we hadn't even told them that we were going in.

There was another lady in the room next door doing a natural childbirth, and, as soon as she delivered they had Chris change into scrubs and they took us into the operating room.  Having a non emergency C-Section was a completely different experience than the emergency one we had with Lucas.  The Doctors were joking around, and things were really low key.  Our Anesthesiologist was amazing.  He stayed in there the whole time and gave me a play by play of what was going on.   Both the Doctor and the Anesthesiologist have all girls, so, they were placing bets on whether or not our baby would be another boy, and who would get to take him home if it was.  As soon as they pulled the baby out, I made them check the gender.  What a relief to hear that it was really a girl!!

It took her a little while to cry, and I felt like I was going to strain my neck, I was trying so hard to watch her every move, until they finally brought her over to me so I could hold her.

After a few minutes, Chris and the nurses took her to get cleaned up and they took me to the recovery area.
 
 

When they finally brought the baby back, my Mom was there and was able to come in and see her.   As uncomfortable as it is for me, I love the time in the recovery area the most.  I love just laying there and holding my baby, staring at her, snuggling her, nursing for the first time, snuggling some more, and just breathing it all in!
On a side note... When we first checked into the hospital, we had a really nice nurse, but, her shift ended just a while after we got there.  The one who was going to take her place came in to introduce herself, and I saw that her name was Dani.  She looked really familiar to me, so I asked her how long she had been working there.  She said that it had been a long time, and I told her that I thought she was the nurse who caught Lucas's prolapsed cord about 2 1/2 years ago.  She remembered it because his case was so unusual, and, we finally had a chance to thank her for being so amazing.  She told us that she had recently taken another job in the hospital training other nurses and teaching classes, but, she missed working with patients and so she took on a couple of random shifts.  We just happened to be there during one of her very few shifts, and, I thought it was such an amazing coincidence.  She took care of us all the way until they wheeled me into my room, and we couldn't have been happier to have had her as our nurse again!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: