Since Adam has been in preschool, he has discovered a whole new world, very foreign from his own. This world is full of giggling, hand holding, wedding cakes made out of puzzles, and marriage proposals. That's right. His class is full of little girls! When I ask him about the girls in his class, he rolls his eyes and says, "Mom, they always try to sit by me, but I don't want to sit by them. I like to sit by Cooper, he's cool." A few weeks ago he came home and I asked him how school was. "Mom" he said "The girls were trying to get me to marry them, and I didn't want to. But then I decided to marry Ashlyn but then she tried to make me dance and sometimes I danced like she said, but then sometimes I danced AWESOME." "Oh" I said. "Did she like it when you danced awesome?". "No Mom, only boys dance awesome." I asked for a demonstration and was, most certainly, not disappointed! It was a combination of modern dance, break dance, kung fu, and "cool tricks".
Isaac was and is indifferent to whether or not he is playing with a boy or a girl. He will make friends with anyone (although he did tell me that he has a little crush on a girl named Abby H in his class). But Adam, well, he is a little more discriminatory. As sweet as he is, he doesn't have much patience for girls. As his mom, I am fine with this! I don't want him talking to girls until he is 22 anyway. But, I do want him to be nice and not roll his eyes every time a girl tries to talk to him!
A little more about Adam. He is always reminding me that he is not cute. He is either cool or awesome. He loves to sing, do "cool" moves, and make up his own songs. I hear him singing to himself all of the time; while he's playing, while he's laying in bed, while he's doing chores, etc. His songs are always about what he is doing, and, they are usually pretty funny. I have to hand it to him too, he makes up songs that rhyme and sometimes I can even pick out a chorus and some repetition in his melodies. The only catch? He won't sing if he knows we are listening to him, so I have to be sneaky.
Well, the other day I convinced him to put on a concert for Jason and I. He stood up on the top of the bunk bed with a fake microphone because he wouldn't do it without a "stage". Jason and I sat down on Jason's bed (a mattress on the floor) and waited for the concert to begin. Before he would start singing, he warned me that he wasn't going to sing nice songs, he was only going to sing SCARY songs, so if I was going to be to scared, maybe I should leave. I told him I would try to be brave, and he started singing. It was all I could do not to laugh. He had such a serious look on his face, and he was trying to sing with his scariest voice. At the end of every song, we had to scream ( I tried smiling once, and got in trouble), and at the end of the concert, he got a screaming standing ovation. What a funny kid- so serious (but awesome, of course).
I know this is really long, but, I need a bragging moment here too. Last night Adam brought a book in to me, and started sounding out words and reading like it was nothing. I was so impressed, and felt just a little (OK, A LOT) guilty for not working on this with him earlier. I think he's been ready for a long time (he's known all of his letters and sounds for over a year now), but I have just been too busy, lazy, and more recently, sick to sit down and work with him. I am still debating about whether or not to send him to the charter school in the fall for Kindergarten. Does anyone have any suggestions?? What have you heard- good and bad? I need help!
5 comments:
A is for Adam
A is for Awesome!!
Charter schools are the best. Caleb goes to one and I love it. All of the kids get so much one on one time with the teachers and the aides. The school Caleb goes to emphasises spanish, so half the day is in english and the other half is in spanish. the only bad thing is that there are no buses. so every day all of the students in the school have to be dropped off and picked up. I love the school goes to.
I love that Adam so much and now I love him even more. I really miss him all the time. I love hearing stories about him because he is so silly.
He IS awesome AND cute! I am sure the girls will always be all over him, especially if he is a good singer. What a 'cool' kid!
(btw- Mylo is also ONLY cool or awesome, not cute or handsome :) )
It sounds like you learned some serious lessons a few weekends ago. A good reminder for me to wait a little longer:)!!
I hope Chris cleaned up after the big party and what a champ for hauling all the boys to church on his own.
I guess we'll have to come over next time Isaac volunteers to sing a few scary songs. I think Kinlee would love that, she's so into scary things and darkness...what do I do with her??
Okay, you are not coming over to help me with my kids, I need to be over helping you. Besides, I'm pretty sure just one of Jared's diapers would give you a whole new list of things to learn.....like how you can still throw up dinner from two weeks ago!!
Post a Comment